Friday, August 1, 2008

Family Home Evening Assignment Board...

A friend and I are working on these FHE Assignment boards to teach at an upcoming Relief Society Craft Day (what is Family Home Evening?? - Click Here). I finished mine up this week so it can be one of the samples on the sign up table, so I thought I'd also share it here. We started with an idea from sugardoodle.net and totally modified it until it was unique to us. Click on the photos for a better look!

Her husband is going to cut all the wood and router the edges.

I painted the base, and cut a piece of scrapbook paper to fit just inside all the edges. I inked the paper (because I ink EVERYTHING) then modge podged it on. I got 2" binder clips, and decorated the fronts with coordinating cardstock and patterned scrapbook papers, ribbons, flowers, bling, etc. She printed the words onto strips of paper from her computer....I inked those too and added them on! The clips are hot glued onto the base (we tried magnets, but the clips were too heavy to hold).

Then we took hard plastic baseball card holders and inserted photos so that when the photo was right side up, the opening was at the bottom...then we slipped the card holder over the tall metal handles (?) sticking up from the clips. I had my photos fill the card holders completely, but you can use smaller photos and scrapbook a mini-layout to go inside the card holder.

This system makes it very easy to change assignments from week to week. The board is light and portable and free standing, so it can go with you no matter what room you are having family night in (which is hard if your assignments are hanging on the wall). I like it because it is easily customizable to your colors or style...adding as much or as little embellishement as you like!

So what do you think??

4 comments:

James and Dixie Moore Family said...

That is so dang cute! Your ward is so lucky to have a creative genius!

Anonymous said...

Very cute and a wonderful way to spend time with your family.

Thanks for sharing.

Heather
scrappinmominky.blogspot.com

The Gustin Family said...

Can I make one?? These are so cute!!!

Jared and Niki said...

I realize you made these a long time ago, but I have been looking for something like this. Would you be willing to make one for me, and if so, what would you charge? Please email me if you are interested. I live in Kentucky, my name is Niki and here is my email address nikitippets@yahoo.com Thanks.